Whatcha Makin' Now?: Monster Crunch Bars - Another #SweetSurprise

Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Monster Crunch Bars - Another #SweetSurprise

Monster Cookie inspired bars - sooo good!

It's time for another #SweetSurprise. If you're new, I accept nominations for someone in your life that could use a Sweet Surprise. Then, once a month I review all the submissions and then I bake and mail baked goods to that person!


This month I'm baking for Kim who just had her second baby. Congrats, Kim! Let's see what Laura had to say about her nominee, Kim:

Kim is my best friend from high school and is getting ready to welcome baby #2 in March! She is a mom to a sweet 2 1/2 year old, as well as a busy doctor. A sweet treat would be the perfect surprise for her on maternity leave!


I'm thinking Kim's 2 1/2 year old might enjoy these bars too. But I won't judge if she hides them and enjoys them after bedtime and in between feedings. 

Monster Cookie inspired bars - sooo good!


They are inspired by my favorite cookies, Monster Cookies. I'm been planning these bars in my head for a few weeks so when they came out exactly as I planned I was sup' excited. I'm glad I'm shipping off tomorrow because they are verrrrrrry dangerous to have around. 

Monster Cookie inspired bars - sooo good!

Monster Crunch Bars

Bars
3 cups Cap'n Crunch's Peanut Butter Crunch
2 cups Cap'n Crunch Original
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup M&M's
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 bag (10 ounces) mini marshmallows
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Topping
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup M&M's

Butter a 9 x 13 pan and set aside. Measure out cereal and set aside. Measure out chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and M&M's and set aside.

In a large pan (like this or this) over medium heat, melt the butter. Add marshmallows and peanut butter and stir. Continue to stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and add cereal. Stir quickly so all cereal is covered in the peanut butter marshmallow mixture. Stir in chips and M&M's (they will melt a little bit). Dump into prepared 9 x 13 pan and use a spatula to press into pan. Set aside.

For the topping, in a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter in the microwave by cooking for 30 second bursts, stirring between each burst, until melted and smooth. Pour over bars. Use a spatula or spreader to smooth and cover bars completely. Sprinkle M&M's on top.

Let bars sit at room temperate until set and cooled. Cut into bars and serve. Makes 24 bars.

Inspired by these and these

Printer Friendly Recipe