Whatcha Makin' Now?: Monster Cookies

Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Monster Cookies



Oh, hi!  Are you new here?  I'd love to connect on facebook too.  
Or, choose another option over on the right.  Thanks for reading!  


Remember the United War fundraiser last week?  Well, one of the highest bidders asked that I make the Monster Cookies for Halloween.  Seems fitting….monsters…Halloween. 

But before the cookies I have to tell you something.  I LOVE pyrex.  Not the new stuff, but the old classics.  It just makes me smile.  With the help of my father, I have a pretty good collection going.  (My parents have an antique shop so he is constantly on the hunt.)  I also LOVE polka dots.  I did as a child and I still do.  I can’t help it, they make me happy.  So when I saw that Pyrex has a polka dot nesting bowl set, I knew it must join my collection. 


About 4 months ago my dad found me one of the 4, the yellow one.  Which is perfect because my kitchen is yellow, gray, blue.  Then a few months later I randomly was on Craigslist and someone was selling the blue one.  This past weekend my dad called me to say he found the largest green one at an auction!  And we all know the largest bowl is usually the hardest to find.  The bigger plus – I was in town so I got to take it home that next day! 


Now I only need the smallest red bowl and my set is complete!  I’m sure I could find it on Ebay, but that isn’t as fun. The thrill of the hunt is part of collecting.  Crap.  Looks like my dad might have rubbed off on me more than I thought.  J My dad sometimes spends years tracking down shades for an old lamp, or the pepper shaker for a lonely salt shaker.

Hey – if any of you have a lonely Pyrex red polka dot bowl sitting around, I’ll give it a nice home.  J

Back to the cookies.  You best make these and then give them away quickly.  Or, you’ll spend the day justifying why they count as breakfast, lunch, and dinner….I mean, they do have oats in them?  I think the use of corn syrup keeps them chewy and adds to the yumminess. 


Monster Cookies
Recipe from Something Swanky

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP corn syrup
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
4 1/2 cup oats
1 package M&Ms (divided)
1/2  cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. 

Mix together all ingredients, EXCEPT for the M&M’s and chocolate chips, until combined. 

Stir in the M&M’s and chocolate chips.  (Save a ¼ cup of the M&M's and press into dough before baking; makes the cookies a little prettier after baking). 

Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheet.  Press a few M&M’s into each cookie if there aren't any showing. 

Bake for 7 to 9 minutes until light brown. Let cool on cookie sheet and then store in an airtight container (if they last that long).     

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Printer Friendly Recipe