Whatcha Makin' Now?: Chocolate Chip Cookies and the First #SweetSurprise

Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies and the First #SweetSurprise

Puffy and Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies with LOTS of Chocolate Chips!

I'm so excited for this post! I just mailed these delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies to a lovely family for my first Sweet Surprise!


As a recap, I'm always accepting nominations for a Sweet Surprise. This is someone that you think deserves something special, like cookies baked by me and mailed to their door for free. Each month I review ALL nominations and select one.

I truly enjoyed reading each of the nominations and it was definitely a hard decision. The best part is that all current nominations remain in the running, so if I didn't pick your nominee this month it could be next month!

Leann nominated her brother and his family and had this to say...

"My brother, his wife, AND their kids have given so much of themselves for our country while serving in the USMC.  They have served numerous tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. He missed the birth of his first daughter when he was headed to Iraq after 911 - before war was even declared. At one time both were gone simultaneously to different countries leaving behind 3 kids under the age of 5! The kids were shuffled between Maine and Florida to spend time with family members. My brother recently retired (before the age of 45!) and his wife is still serving. They were relocated a few months ago for Pam to go to school for the USMC. I know that Pam working her butt off and the family is busy too. I think this might just be a very nice and "sweet surprise" for the entire family!"

While a couple dozen cookies can't thank Pam, Mark, and their children for all that they've given so that we can live the life we do, I do hope the cookies bring a smile to their face and tummies. I would love for you to leave a comment on this post with a kind word and I'll make sure it gets to the family.

And, I'm instant friends with them because of our shared love for Chocolate Chip Cookies. :)

Puffy and Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies with LOTS of Chocolate Chips!

Puffy and Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies with LOTS of Chocolate Chips!


Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter flavored shortening (or unsalted butter)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used 1/2 semi sweet and 1/2 white chips.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients on low. Mix until fully incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. The dough will be thick.

Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake one cookie sheet at at a time for 12-15 minutes or until just starting to turn light brown. Allow cookies to cool on the rack for a minute or two before transferring to a cooling rack.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Source: My Grandma's Recipe Box

Printer Friendly Recipe