Whatcha Makin' Now?: Russian Tea Mix, DIY Gift Idea

Pages

▼

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Russian Tea Mix, DIY Gift Idea


I’ve had this recipe flagged in my email since 2009, seriously 2009.  My sister-in-law, Jill, served this delicious tea when I was at her house (apparently that was in 2009 ish) and later sent me the recipe because I loved it so.  I really had good intentions of making it and giving it to my co-workers as a little gift but it slipped my mind.



When it resurfaced in my superbly organized inbox I knew it had to be made, pronto.  Which means a quick shopping trip over my lunch hour.

Jacob HATES my lunch shopping trips.  He thinks I just try to go spend money and it’s never something I need. Somewhat true, but don’t tell.  I guess I feel like a contestant on Super Market Sweep getting ready for the big sweep.....


Back to the tea.  Over my lunch break I snuck off for my lunch shopping to get the ingredients for the Russian Tea.  And then watched the clock until I could get home and make it.


We all know that gift giving time is upon us.  This tea mix would make a fun gift for co-workers, teachers, friends, family, neighbors, mailman, whoever.  Once the dry tea is prepared, pour the mix in little jars or tins.  I made a quick little label you could print and place on the jars too.  Attach the label to the jar, place a little piece of fabric over the jar, and tie on with a piece of string. Voilà! A perfect gift.   


Tip: Instead of paying top dollar for jars, save your glass jars from like jelly or condiments throughout the year.  Who cares if the jars are all different shapes and sizes; they are going to different people.  Or, when you have a 40% off coupon to Michaels, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby and don’t need anything else, use it to buy 1 jar.  Over the months you’ll get a nice little collection for gift giving time. 

What DIY gifts do you have planned this year?


Russian Tea Mix
Jill King

3/4 cup instant tea
3 cups Tang powder
3 ounces lemonade mix
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoon ground cloves

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl.  Store in air-tight container.  OR, divide into decorative tins or jars and give as gifts! 

To serve, sprinkle 2 heaping teaspoons of the mix into 1 cup (or mug) hot water and serve. 

Recipe makes about 5 ½ cups of mix.