Whatcha Makin' Now?: Whatcha Doin’ Now?: Ben Franklin

Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Whatcha Doin’ Now?: Ben Franklin


Anytime I’m in Lincoln, NE visiting family I make a stop at Ben Franklin.  It’s locally owned and full of charm.  They have everything – huge scrapbook section, cheap greeting cards, toys, sessional items, fabric, crafts, gifty items, candy galore, and a super sweet (no pun intended) baking isle.  It’s basically like a smaller cheaper Hobby Lobby with the old timey feeling. 

I snapped a few pictures of my two favorite parts of Ben Franklin during my last visit.


The candy section.  This is one of the only places (that I know of) that you pick up a bowl and fill it with candy sold by the piece.  I mean like snack size Snickers, Smarties, Hersey Kisses, Tootsie Rolls, and probably 100 plus other options.  They even have old classics like Dots.  The price range is 1 cent to 25 cents each piece.  So for a $1.00 you can get yourself a nice little variety!    Jacob still remembers walking to Ben Franklin as a little kid and counting out 100 Tootsie Rolls for a $1.00.  (Every time I mention Ben Franklin Jacob tells me that same story….like every time…it’s one of the things I love about him.  There are about 10 stories that I’ve heard probably 50 times each.)




The baking isle.  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Ben Franklin is the ‘Home of the Wedding Mint’.  They have baskets with so many different mint mold (like for every holiday) and nearly 100 different oil flavorings for said mints and other candy making.  They even sell the Wedding Mint Recipe for 20 cents.  If you have wedding mints at a wedding in Nebraska, odds are they stopped at Ben Franklin for the makings.  Aside from the mint making, they have sprinkles, cookie cutters, lots of Wilton items, cake making accessories, pans, and much more. The best part is their prices are super reasonable and maybe a little less than Michaels or JoAnns and you avoid the coupon nonsense.




On my most recent trip I picked up….

Peppermint Oil
Pumpkin Mint Mold
Giant Sixlets for cupcake/cake decorating
Cupcake Liners
Some candy, of course
And some other odds and end that I probably didn’t need.

I know talking about a locally owned store in Lincoln, NE is pretty specific, but I encourage you to get out and find those hidden gems in your community.  You’ll be happy you did and there is nothing better than supporting a local business in the community you love.