Whatcha Makin' Now?: Good ol’ Traditional Puppy Chow with White Chocolate M&M’s

Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Good ol’ Traditional Puppy Chow with White Chocolate M&M’s



Is it really only Wednesday!?!  This week is dragging.  Big time.  Why you ask?  Because on Friday Jacob and I are making a road trip to Minnesota to pick up a PUPPY!!!  We are getting a male French Brittney.  We are so excited!  We’ve puppy-proofed our house (but I’m sure he will find something we missed), dog dish, toys, bed, kennel, shampoo, food, and treats.  By Saturday @ Noon we should be holding our little puppy.  Can’t wait! 

So to keep with the puppy theme I thought I should make some puppy chow.  Not that anyone ever needs an excuse to take cereal and coat in chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar.  I couldn’t stop there – I threw in WHITE Chocolate M&M’s.  Yes, that’s right, WHITE Chocolate M&M’s.  I think they are just a Spring/Easter special, but they really should be available year-round. 

Jacob informed me that I could not take this to work like I usually do.  He’s a pretty big Puppy Chow fan.  But, I will have to take a little to share with my work buddies.  Sorry, honey. 

I strongly suggest you purchase some White Chocolate M&M’s before they are gone.  They are bigger than the standard M&M; more the size of the Peanut Butter M&M’s.  I did buy an extra bag…might need to make some cookies with them. 

You can’t go wrong with Puppy Chow.  It only takes about 15 minutes to make, and about 15 minutes to eat the whole batch.  Dangerous. 


9 cups Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Crispix, or just the cheap stuff
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
1 bag M&M's

In a large bowl, measure cereal and set aside.

In a 1-quart microwave bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on medium power for 45 seconds, stir, medium power 45 seconds, and repeat until smooth.  Stir in vanilla. 

Pour mixture over cereal and stir to coat. 

Transfer coated cereal to a 2-gallon re-sealable bag or even a paper bag. 

Add in 1 cup powdered sugar to the bag, seal, and shake the bag to distribute the powdered sugar.  I like a lot of powdered sugar, so feel free to add another ½ cup or more to coat to your liking.

Add M&M's and then spread on wax paper to cool.  Store in an airtight container.


Can’t wait to share the puppy pictures with you!!!  Hurry up Friday!