Whatcha Makin' Now?: Banana Donuts with Cinnamon and Sugar Coating

Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Banana Donuts with Cinnamon and Sugar Coating



I put it off as long as I possibly could, all along knowing I would break down eventually.  I bought a Wilton Donut pan.  In my defense, I had old bananas that HAD to be used and I didn’t really want banana bread.  So, when I saw this recipe I knew this was the day that silly, but awesome, pan would be mine.

Let me tell ya, I’m glad I bought it.  It was only $9.99 but with a 40% coupon it was a bargain.  Plus they are baked, not fried, so they are healthy…………


I loved this recipe because of the spices; I knew that would make a very yummy flavor.  I do think these were moister than the standard cake donut because of the bananas, but that is not a bad thing at all.  And by applying butter for the cinnamon/sugar coating it didn’t hurt the flavor or texture. 

I for sure see the standard cake donut with chocolate frosting and sprinkles in the VERY near future.  Yum.

Banana Donuts with Cinnamon and Sugar Coating

Banana Donuts
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

2/3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Rub the donut pan with a little butter or shortening, or use baking spray. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl beat the brown sugar, oil, and eggs at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Mix in the mashed banana, buttermilk, and vanilla.

Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined.

Pour the batter to a large zip-top bag and cut off one corner.  Pipe the dough into the donut pan, filling each mold about halfway full. 

Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the donuts spring back when lightly touched.  Let the donuts set in the pan for about a minute before transferring to a wire rack. 

Cinnamon and Sugar Coating
4 tbsp butter, melted
4-5 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon

In one bowl, melt the butter.  In another bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.  Once donuts are cool, either dip into the butter or use a basting brush to lightly coat in butter.  Then, dip into the sugar/cinnamon mixture until coated. 

Now….enjoy!!!  Store donuts in an airtight container.   

Recipe makes 16-18 donuts.