Whatcha Makin' Now?: Apple Crisp and a New Home

Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Apple Crisp and a New Home

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything but now I feel like I might be back in the swing of things.  For the past few months Jacob and I have been house hunting almost every weekend.  And on the weekends we weren’t out looking at homes we were visiting family.  While those things were both fun, it really cut into my baking time! 

As of November 1st, we are officially home owners!  Yeah!  We found a great home and are slowly making it our own.  We currently have red walls in our kitchen and I’m not crazy about it…at all.  So I hope, maybe this weekend, we can paint.  I’m thinking a grayish blue will look nice with our white cupboards.  Then I’ll do some gray and black accents to make it a little more modern.  I’ll post pictures once it’s pretty.  J  

Here is a before picture:

I work in the Marketing/IT area at a Real Estate company.  A lot of our agents are buying iPads and Macs.  So that we know exactly how to help these agents use their new toys the best, we had a little Apple Meeting to review Real Estate/Productivity Apps.  I thought if we are having this type of meeting I should probably make Apple Crisp.  We planned the meeting for 9 AM and my co-workers gave me permission to come to work late so that the Apple Crisp was still warm.  Yes, we did have ice cream with the warm apple crisp...at 9 AM...just didn't snap a picture. 


This was my first time making Apple Crisp, which is a little bit of a surprise because I’m a HUGE apple fan.  I found it on Food Network and after reading some of the reviews I tweaked the recipe a bit to ensure there was more than enough crunchy topping.  I also made a double batch – baking in 2, 9 x 13 pans. 

The final product was delicious!  Especially warm, with vanilla ice cream.  But the small amount of leftovers was so good chilled too.  Give it a try and let me know what you think! 

Apple Crisp
Adapted from Food Network

What you need:
6 to 8 apples, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

½ cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter

1 pint vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a 9 by 12 baking dish, combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. In a medium bowl, mix flour and graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and butter together using a fork or your fingers, working until even, small crumbles form. Sprinkle topping evenly over apples and bake 15 to 20 minutes* until apples are just tender and topping is golden brown. Top dishes of apple crisp with small scoops of vanilla ice cream.

*If doubling the recipe, increase baking time to 30 minutes or so. 

Thanks for stopping by!