Whatcha Makin' Now?: Chocolate Pecan Pie (aka Dixie Pie)

Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Chocolate Pecan Pie (aka Dixie Pie)

Ginny and I are taking on Thanksgiving this week. We almost always have pecan pie and pumpkin pie at our Thanksgiving celebrations, but this year I'm going to take this Dixie Pie. Hopefully the fam is okay with the little change. I'll report back.

Chocolate Pecan Pie (aka Dixie Pie) - take the best pecan pie and add chocolate chips. Amazing!


And yes, it's good. I promise. But if chocolate isn't your thing, just leave it out and you'll still have the best (and easiest) pecan pie! But believe me you'll want the chocolate chips.

It was last year when I tried a Tippins Pie called the Dixie Pie. I bought it for my dad, I think it was his birthday or fathers day. He's a pretty big dessert guy and I knew the uniqueness of pecan pie with chocolate would pique his interest. Plus, it was a good excuse for me to try it.

It was delicious and I've wanted to recreate it since. After reviewing some of my cookbooks and the web, I found it really was just a basic pecan pie with chocolate chips added. I already have a family pecan pie recipe that I KNOW is perfect so I decided to give it a go.

Chocolate Pecan Pie (aka Dixie Pie) - take the best pecan pie and add chocolate chips. Amazing!


Just like the Tippin pie, it did not disappoint. The chocolate kinda floats up while baking so you end up with top layer of pecans, then chocolate, then the gooey goodness that makes pecan pie. Jake and I love pecan pie cold but it was just as taste warm.

Also, can we take a minute to admire my new pie carrier. It's by Vonny and might be the coolest thing I own. This was a gift from my sister-in-law for helping her organizer her kitchen. Funny story - I called Jacob and told him about my new pie carrier. He said, no joke, "Let me guess, it has polka dots and it multi-color." He kinda knows me, and so does Jill.

Vonny Pie Carrier - perfect gift for the baker in your life



Chocolate Pecan Pie (aka Dixie Pie)

1 pre-made pie crust (My go-to is the Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust.)
1/2 cup (heaping) semi-sweet chocolate chips*
3 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup pecan halves or broken pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare pie crust according to package directions. Use a fork to poke the base of the pie crust. Sprinkle base with the chocolate chips. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt, melted butter, and syrup. Stir in pecans and vanilla extract. Pour mixture into the prepared pie crust.

Bake 40-50 minutes or until filling is set (or, doesn't jiggle too much when you move the pie plate around) and the crust is golden brown.

Cool pie before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

(I like my pecan pie cold, so I usually keep in the refrigerator and serve cold.)

*If chocolate chips aren't your thing, simply leave them out and proceed with directions and you'll have a classic 'delicious' pecan pie.

Source: My sister-in-law, Jill King

Printer Friendly Recipe 

I love Ginny's outfit! The colors are so perfect. Here are the details.

http://mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com/2013/11/chelsea-and-ginny-take-on-thanksgiving.html