Whatcha Makin' Now?: Maple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping

Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Maple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping


Oh hey, are you new here? I hope you'll connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, email, or another option over there on the right. 


I guess I have maple syrup on the brain this week. I used it for the Chicken and Waffles sauce and now in bread. I was home on Tuesday enjoying a snow day from work. Seriously, I felt like a kid waiting for word of our closed office. The love for a snow days never goes away.

I remember when I was in grade school the only way we would learn of a snow day would be on the evening news. We would watch the scrolling list and just wait to see our school name. And, if it wasn't there we would convince ourselves we just overlooked it and would watch the list over and over and over. But now, I only had to wait for my email alert to ding on my iPhone!

Now for this bread. I skipped a couple steps from the original recipe because I wasn't in the mood for a lot of fuss. But pretty sure it didn't effect the final product. The bread was dense, moist, and lots of maple and cinnamon flavor. Served warm with a pad of butter....outstanding.



Maple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping


Bread: 
2 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter (cooled)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract

Crumb Topping:
4 TBSP brown sugar
4 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Butter and flour a 9x5 bread pan.

In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl, mix together maple syrup, buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and extracts.

Gradually add dry mix to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared bread pan.

Using a fork or pastry blender combine the crumb topping ingredients (brown sugar, flour, and butter) until resembles crumbles. Sprinkle on top of bread batter.

Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until knife inserted and come out clean.

Serve by the slice with a pad of butter. Yum.

Slightly adapted from: Bakeaholic Mama

Printer Friendly Recipe