Whatcha Makin' Now?: Coconut Thumbprints

Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Coconut Thumbprints


I like coconut. I like jelly. Put those together and you have yummy coconut thumbprints. This is another cookie, like Tea Cakes, that I didn't care for much until I was a little older. I was a picky eater, like really picky. I would only eat hamburgers or chicken strips at any restaurant we went to, even Mexican.

This is a fun recipe because you can use any jelly, so each family member or friend could pick their own. I would go for strawberry or orange marmalade....yum. And now I have Lady Marmalade in my head....



Coconut Thumbprints

1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup flake coconut
1/4 cup thick preserves, jam, or jelly

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper and set aside. 

In a large bowl, cream butter flavored Crisco with sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla (place white in a separate dish).

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add to butter mixture and blend well. Set aside dough. 

Beat egg white until slightly frothy. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and dip into egg white and then roll in coconut. 

Place on baking sheet. Make shallow depression in center of each cookie using thumb or back of small spoon. Place 1/2 teaspoon of jelly in each center. (Use different jams so you have a variety!)

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes or until coconut begins to brown. Cool on baking sheets about 1 to 2 minutes. Move to cooling rack. 

Makes about 2 dozen cookies. 

Source: My dad, Kelly Devlin

Printer Friendly Recipe