Whatcha Makin' Now?: Russian Tea Mix, DIY Gift Idea

Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Russian Tea Mix, DIY Gift Idea


I’ve had this recipe flagged in my email since 2009, seriously 2009.  My sister-in-law, Jill, served this delicious tea when I was at her house (apparently that was in 2009 ish) and later sent me the recipe because I loved it so.  I really had good intentions of making it and giving it to my co-workers as a little gift but it slipped my mind.



When it resurfaced in my superbly organized inbox I knew it had to be made, pronto.  Which means a quick shopping trip over my lunch hour.

Jacob HATES my lunch shopping trips.  He thinks I just try to go spend money and it’s never something I need. Somewhat true, but don’t tell.  I guess I feel like a contestant on Super Market Sweep getting ready for the big sweep.....


Back to the tea.  Over my lunch break I snuck off for my lunch shopping to get the ingredients for the Russian Tea.  And then watched the clock until I could get home and make it.


We all know that gift giving time is upon us.  This tea mix would make a fun gift for co-workers, teachers, friends, family, neighbors, mailman, whoever.  Once the dry tea is prepared, pour the mix in little jars or tins.  I made a quick little label you could print and place on the jars too.  Attach the label to the jar, place a little piece of fabric over the jar, and tie on with a piece of string. Voilà! A perfect gift.   


Tip: Instead of paying top dollar for jars, save your glass jars from like jelly or condiments throughout the year.  Who cares if the jars are all different shapes and sizes; they are going to different people.  Or, when you have a 40% off coupon to Michaels, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby and don’t need anything else, use it to buy 1 jar.  Over the months you’ll get a nice little collection for gift giving time. 

What DIY gifts do you have planned this year?


Russian Tea Mix
Jill King

3/4 cup instant tea
3 cups Tang powder
3 ounces lemonade mix
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoon ground cloves

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl.  Store in air-tight container.  OR, divide into decorative tins or jars and give as gifts! 

To serve, sprinkle 2 heaping teaspoons of the mix into 1 cup (or mug) hot water and serve. 

Recipe makes about 5 ½ cups of mix.