Whatcha Makin' Now?: No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake

Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake


A few weeks ago Jacob proclaimed that “we should probably make a pie every week” after we discovered that our local grocery store sells pre-made graham cracker crusts for $1.15 each.  His idea of a pie was vanilla pudding with whipped topping and sprinkled with blueberries.  Well that was pretty good, but I had other ideas. 

So on week 2 of our pie making, it was my turn.  We had chocolate pudding but that just didn’t seem right…kinda of boring actually.  But chocolate cheesecake, that shouldn’t amazing.  After some quick googling I determined that this little no-bake cheesecake could happen in about 15 minutes.  Perfect.


Plus, since it was 9:15 PM on a Sunday I knew I could still make my 9:45 PM bedtime.  You think I’m kidding….I’m not.  I’m old 30 and like my sleep. 


The final product might not look exactly like the picture on Hersey.com but it tasted superb!  The recipe called for 11 ounces of cream cheese but I didn’t want to open another package for only 3 ounces, so I just used 8 ounces.  I also kind of guestimated on the whipped topping and put in a little extra.  It was still creamy, chocolaty, and delicious! 


This is definitely a quick dessert to whip up for a pot-luck, family gathering, or just to satisfy the need for chocolaty goodness.  Give it a try!      


No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake

Pre-made graham cracker crust*
1 ½ cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
½ stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine, softened
½ cup sugar
2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed (about 1, 8 oz. container; use remaining as topping)

Have your pie crust out and ready to roll.*

Microwave the chocolate chips in small bowl on medium (50% power) for 1 minute and then stir.  If necessary, microwave on medium for an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each, until chips are melted.  Set aside to cool. 


Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar and butter in another bowl until creamy.  Slowly pour in the melted chocolate chips, beating on low speed until blended.  Fold in whipped topping until blended (don’t over mix of the whipped topping with breakdown) and scoop mix into the crust.  (Feel free to lick the beaters and spoons, ya know, just to make sure it tastes good.)

Add remaining whipped topping on the top (if desired) and refrigerate until firm.  (A few hours should do the trick, or overnight.)  You can decorate with graham cracker crumbs or shaved chocolate to make it all fancy. 

Keep leftovers refrigerated.  About 8-10 servings.

*If you prefer to make your own crust, here is quick recipe:
 Graham Cracker Crust
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients; press over bottom and up sides of a 9 inch pie plate.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool completely before filing with cream cheese mixture. 



I’m going to break it to Jacob that the ‘pie every week’ party can’t continue.  Yes, it would be delightful but I like when my pants fit.