Whatcha Makin' Now?: Zucchini Brownies / Cake

Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Zucchini Brownies / Cake


I was really happy with the Stuffed Yellow Squash from last week so over the weekend I picked up a zucchini at the Farmers Market for $1.00.  I thought maybe I would do stuffed zucchini or something.  But then I remembered this Zucchini Brownie recipe.

Of course I would take something healthy and make it a brownie.

One of the nicest ladies I know gave me this recipe.  When I first moved here and started my job, her office was one of my first visits.  And it was for the office Christmas Party so there was food.  Paula had made a pie, I think it was a dixie pie which is like a pecan pie on crack....or a pecan pie with chocolate added.  Either way it was delicious.  So when Paula gave me a recipe I knew it would be a good one.

You really don't even taste the zucchini!  It's crazy.  It just adds the moisture needed to make fudgey brownies.  This recipe also doesn't use any eggs.  I made mine in a 9 x 13 pan so it was more like a cake, but I bet you could put in a larger pan to make more bar like.  The frosting added the perfect amount of sweetness without being overpowering.

Here are the details....

Zucchini Brownies/Cake
Paula: One of the sweetest ladies I know

Brownies:
2 cup flour
1 ½ sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup oil
2 to 3 tsp vanilla
4 cups ground/shredded zucchini
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 9 x 13 pan and set aside.

Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Prepare the zucchini by giving it a good wash.  Use a food processor or grater to shred the zucchini – skin and all.  If it’s a large zucchini with lots of seeds go ahead and remove those from the mix.


Add oil and vanilla to the shredded zucchini and then combine with the dry ingredients.  The mixture may seem dry; let set for a few minutes and the moisture from zucchini will make it easier to stir until everything is blended. 




If desired, add nuts.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Allow to cool before frosting. 


Frosting:
3 tablespoon margarine or butter
3 tablespoon milk (or water if you know they will be sitting out for a long time)
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup chocolate chips

In a small sauce pan, bring butter, milk, and sugar to a boil for about 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add ¼ cup chocolate chips.  Beat to spreading consistency and spread on top of warm or cooled brownies.  If too thin, let cool and it will thicken up!


I noticed that once the cake cooled completely the cake was even more moist and fudgey.  It reminded me a lot of a classic texas sheet cake.  Yummy!