Whatcha Makin' Now?: Caramel Cashew Cookies

Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Caramel Cashew Cookies


COOOOOKIES!  I really like cookies.  Okay, that was a lie.  I loooove cookies.  And, I just realized that the number of my posts on cookies are far more than any other category. 

This recipe just makes me love cookies even more.  It all started a few months ago when a co-worker brought in cookies from Trader Joes.  They were caramel and cashew and oh so crunchy and good.  They were also bite size so you could eat like 6 and not really feel guilty about it.  I’d never made cookies with cashews so I ventured to Pinterest for other cashew cookie recipes.  I found this one first and pinned it.


These cookies are delicious!  They are so chewy with the little crunch from the cashews.  The only issue was that the grocery store I stopped at didn’t just have toffee bits so I HAD to buy Heath candy baking pieces instead.  Have you ever had chocolate covered toffee cashews?   Yea, they are good so adding a little chocolate to these couldn’t really hurt anything in my book!  The chocolate from the Heath was subtle; you can really taste the cashews and toffee.  You could add chocolate chips if you want more chocolaty goodness – I think I’ll try that next time. 



Give these babies a try!  You won’t be disappointment. 


Caramel Cashew Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups light-brown sugar (packed)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups whole oats (ground to flour texture)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups Heath candy bar bits or toffee bits
1 1/2 cups toasted, salted cashew halves, chopped into small pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. 

In a food processor, grind oats until nearly flour texture (about 1 minute). Combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium mixing bowl.  Whisk until blended and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  Add in eggs one at a time and then add in the vanilla.  Gradually add in flour mixture until well combined.  Mix in heath bits and cashews.   Using a tablespoon or cookie scooper, drop dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet.  Bake 9 - 11 minutes (9 for softer, 11 for crispier).  Allow to cool a few minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack.  Store in an airtight container. 

*I did refrigerate my dough between batches.  The first batch of cookies did spread a little but once the dough was chilled it held its shape much better! 

Makes about 5 dozen cookies. 

Loved that this made so many cookies!  I took some to my office, husbands office, and home to the family for Labor Day Weekend!  



Oh - I announced the winner on my recent giveaway.