Whatcha Makin' Now?: Chocolate Crunch Cookies

Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Chocolate Crunch Cookies


Things I’ve recently learned that changed my life: (Maybe too dramatic but you get the idea.)
  • I’m addicted to fountain pop, especially fountain pop in a styrofoam cup.  McDonald’s has the $1.00 any size pop/tea special.  You can REQUEST a styrofoam cup when you order; at no additional fee.  No more watered down pop for this gal! 
  • Don’t let your healthy apple be lonely.  Dip it in this.  I added a little cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar just because.  So yummy! 
  • With a little ‘vision’ a thrift store can be an amazing place.  As a recent new homebuyer, I’m always looking for ways to decorate….cheaply.  After watching this video and this one I took a trip to the thrift store about found some gems.  Jacob asked me why I bought grandma decorations but those ‘grandma decorations’ are now COOL – see…..

  • Spray paint can be a home decorator’s best friend.  As you can see from the above picture.   
  • Dropbox.  They just added a feature to the Dropbox iPhone app that allows users to automatically upload phone pictures and videos.  I LOVE this – all my pictures are safe and so easy to access from anywhere.  Don’t have Dropbox yet – get it here (freeeeeee). 
  • Trader Joes has Carmel Cashew cookies and they are amazing! 
  • Spotify.  I’ve been using this for many months but it continues to make me smile.  Working in an office setting this is amazing.  Pop in ear buds and I can listen to full songs, albums, create play lists, and discover new music all while working.  Plus, people see the ear buds and just leave you alone. 
I shared my Chocolate Crunch Cookie recipe a short time ago, but I did a little remix and had to share it.  I used a chocolate cake mix and white chocolate chips.  They. Were. Delicious!

Here is the recipe...




Chocolate Crunch Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
Adapted from Stephanie Ashcraft: 101 Things To Do With A Cake Mix

2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 chocolate cake mix
1 cup rice krispies or crispy rice cereal
1 cup white chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease cookies sheets or line with parchment paper. 

Combine shortening and brown sugar with a hand mixer or fork.  Stir in eggs one at a time.  Add in cake mix and combine well.  Stir in cereal, chocolate chips, and nuts (optional).

Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop dough onto cookie sheet.

Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown around edges. Do NOT over bake; cookies will be too dry/hard.  Cool 2-3 minutes on cookie sheet.  Remove cookies and place on nonstick rack to cool. 

Makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies.