Whatcha Makin' Now?: Redesigned Blog and a Cakewalk

Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Redesigned Blog and a Cakewalk

This past weekend I pulled up my blog and I hated it; the layout, the colors, the social media links – blahhhhh.  So I decided to change it.  I’m approaching my 1 year blogiversary so it’s a perfect time for a refresh.  I hope you like it!  I have big plans for my 1 year and really want to do a giveaway!!!  Stop back again to learn more. 

My sister-in-law emailed me a couple weeks ago to brainstorm cake ideas for a cakewalk at my nephew’s school.  I’ll be honest, I had no idea what a calkwalk was but I like researching cake designs. 

For those of you that were deprived of cakewalks like myself, according to Reference.com a cake walk is a game, similar to musical chairs but without the use of props.  You walk down a line and stop at the sound of the music.   If you stop in a particular spot, you win a cake.  For a longer definition and setup instructions, click here.  I’m already brainstorming ways to make this happen in my area. 

Jill and I are pretty big cupcake fans so I did some searching for cupcake cakes.  I sent her a bunch of google pics and she decided on a cupcake cake modeled after the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  
Perfect for a school fundraiser! 

Here is the finished product.  Isn’t it cool!?!?! 



Jill shared a couple great tips for creating this cupcake cake…

  • Bright frosting was key to this design.  She is lucky to have a Dahl's Foods nearby that sells prepared BRIGHTLY colored frosting that was perfect.  If you are using colored icing, just make sure you have enough to color properly. 

  • Use a heavy cardboard or tray for the base.  You can decorate with wrapping paper or scrapbook paper. 
  • For transport, take bendy straws, and tape the short end under the base board so that the long end stands straight up.  (You can kind of see them in the cake picture above.)  Then, loosely drape plastic wrap over the cake.  And drive careful…so sharp turns! 

Great job, Jill!  I hope I can participate in a cakewalk soon.  Sounds like a blast.