Whatcha Makin' Now?: Cherry Mash

Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Cherry Mash


Family recipe for Cherry Mash

Updated post - same great recipe but updated photos!

So last year my mom crushed my dreams/memories. I called her all excited to get the family Cherry Mash recipe. It's one of my most favorite recipes. It's a super sweet candy but I always look forward to it around Christmas.

And what does she say….”It’s on the back of the Cherry Chips bag.”

I was like – what!?!! I thought that was a family recipe. What a bunch of crap. But to keep my memories intact I whined and she emailed me the "family recipe" anyway.

I’ll have to you know – the family recipe is actually different than the recipe on the back of the bag of cherry chips so there, mom. So I guess my memories aren't crushed.


Family recipe for Cherry Mash

Family recipe for Cherry Mash


Cherry Mash

2 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
12 regular size marshmallows
1/2 cup unsalted butter
6 ounces cherry chips

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 ounces crushed peanuts (I get the kind without skins, lightly salted)
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips 

Line a 8 x 8 pan with foil and lightly butter the foil. Set aside

Combine sugar, milk, marshmallows and butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Watch and stir often it burns easily. Turn off heat and add cherry chips. Stir until cherry chips are melted all is mixed.   

Pour cherry mixture into prepared pan. Put the pan in the refrigerator while you prepare the chocolate layer; this will allows the cherry part to set a little bit. 

In the microwave or using a double boiler, melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter until smooth. Add in vanilla extract and peanuts and mix. Drop spoonfuls over cherry layer and spread to cover cherry layer. Place in the refrigerator to set.

Can leave in the refrigerator or leave at room temperature before/after serving. It's much easier to cut at room temperature.   

Alternate Method: You could also make in mini muffin liners to make them easier to serve or gift.

Source: Family Recipe