Whatcha Makin' Now?: Banana Blueberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Banana Blueberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I did it again. I forgot to eat my bananas and they turned brown. But this time around blueberries were on sale. Add a little cream cheese frosting and banana crisis averted!
I think this cake is best served chilled, but still delish at room temperature. The original recipe called for lemon juice but I was without so I substituted 1 tablespoon white vinegar. I didn’t notice the flavor in the finished product; I think it just helped make the milk more like buttermilk.

I really wanted to do this as a layer cake, but for transporting/sharing purposes I knew a sheet cake would work best.

Enjoy!


Banana Blueberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Your Homebased Mom

Cake:
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
3 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups milk
1 tbsp white vinegar (or lemon juice)
2 cups blueberries, washed and picked over

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Grease a 9×13-inch pan, or could do 9 inch round pans or even muffins (adjust cooking time).

In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugars. Add in the eggs one at a time, and mix until creamy. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and bananas. Mix until creamy.

Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir the mixture roughly, but do not combine completely.

In a measuring cup, mix the white vinegar (or lemon juice) with the milk.

With the mixer running, slowly pour the milk into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix until smooth. Fold in the blueberries.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan(s) – FYI, my batter was pretty runny and I was a bit concerned but baked up just fine!!

Bake the cake for 60 to 75 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely (could put in the refrigerator if in a hurry) before frosting.

Frosting:
¼ cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
4 cups powdered sugar
Pinch salt

For the frosting: In a large bowl, whip the butter and cream cheese together until very smooth. Beat in vanilla and almond extract. Add the powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and salt and beat on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth. Spread on cooled cake. (I did have a little too much frosting, but if you do a layer cake you’ll need a little more.)



Thanks for stopping by!