Whatcha Makin' Now?: Cheese Garlic Biscuits and Au Gratin Potatoes

Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cheese Garlic Biscuits and Au Gratin Potatoes

For our Easter dinner this past weekend, I pulled out my Grandma’s recipes for ideas. I love looking through her recipes; seeing her handwriting and remembering all the great meals she prepared for us. I organized them a couple years ago in a big 3 ring binder – easier to look through and will keep them safe!




The winning recipes were Cheese Garlic Biscuits and Au Gratin Potatoes – they worked perfectly with our brown sugar ham and steamed asparagus.

Both recipes are super easy and delicious. Next time we have Italian food I will definitely whip up a batch of the biscuits. I think my sister would refer to the Au Gratin Potatoes as ‘church picnic potatoes’, ya know, one of those casseroles that is always at church potlucks? It’s usually next to 7 different varieties of Jello salad? Or maybe that is just a mid-west thing, I don’t know. But I won’t complain – I’ve never been to a potluck I haven’t enjoyed! I’m off track…back to the recipes.


Cheese Garlic Biscuits

2 cups buttermilk baking mix (pancake mix)
2/3 cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup margarine, melted
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat over to 450 degrees. Mix baking mix, milk, and cheese until soft dough forms. Beat vigorously 30 seconds. Drop dough by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Mix melted butter and garlic powder in small bowl. Remove biscuits from oven and while warm use basting brush to cover each with the butter garlic mixture. Best served warm!


Au Gratin Potatoes

5 – 6 medium size potatoes, boiled with jackets on (or, bag of frozen hash browns may be substituted for boiled potatoes)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 TBSP butter, melted (or less if desired)
2 cups sour cream (can add milk if mixture seems too dry)
¼ cup chopped green onions
Paprika for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Pour into lightly greased 9 x 13 pan and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 40 minutes, sprinkle with a little more cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.


Talk to you all again soon!