Whatcha Makin' Now?: Oatmeal Cream Pies (Whoopie Pies)

Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pies (Whoopie Pies)

From the moment I saw this cookbook I knew I had to have it ASAP. The fun colors, kooky text, and the recipes - love! The book is called Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell. I don't really read real books but I do get Borders emails for the coupons. Buying something with a coupon just feels good. I printed off a coupon and popped over to Borders on my lunch break. Score!! One book left, and it’s mine!

That evening I made my first Whoopie Pies – Oatmeal Whoopies to be exact. They made me think of Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies so I figured they had to be good. Boy are they good! I’ve made them 3-4 times since and they disappear fast.

Whenever I start to bake I gather all of the ingredients and as I use each I put it away. Maybe a little OCD but I try to clean up as I go. 

I think the key to good Whoopie Pie is to follow the directions when it says to cream the sugars and butter for 3 minutes and then another 3 minutes after the eggs and vanilla is added. This makes the cakes puff up more, at least that’s what I think it does.

Once everything is mixed, I spoon into a plastic bag (poor gals piping bag). I have a juice pitcher that holds the bag perfectly while transferring batter from bowl to bag. Trim off the tip of the bag (1/2 inch or so – batter is thick). Pipe onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets and bake. I cook a little bit longer than the recipe but I like firmer cakes.


While the cakes cool, make your frosting.


Working with powdered sugar can get messy, but I have a little trick. I put a dish towel over the bowl/mixer while I combine the powered goodness with the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla. Try it, it works! Again, follow the directions and mix for 4 minutes. If the consistency is not quite right, I add milk 1 teaspoon at time. 


It’s time to assemble! I use the same juice pitcher to transfer the frosting to a piping bag. Go ahead and try a spoonful…you’ll have plenty. Line up the cookie bases flat side up. Pipe on a small mound (oxymoron… maybe) of frosting, top with another cookie and you’re done!


The Whoopie Pies do keep really well and soften up from the moisture in the frosting. OH SO GOOD!

 

Now get out there and make some Oatmeal Whoopies!

Here is the recipe:

Oatmeal Whoopies

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup (packed) brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups rolled oats (I used instant, but recipe says not fast-cooking)
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Optional: ½ raisins and/or ½ cup chopped pecans or nuts of choice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In one bowl, beat together the butter and both sugars on low speed. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and beat until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.

In another bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. (I use a whisk to really get the dry ingredients mixed together.) Add the oatmeal mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.

Using a spoon (or baggy/piping bag) drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time a for about 11 minutes each or until the cakes begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Makes about 48 two-inch cakes.

Cream Cheese Filling

4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed. Add the sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium; beat until creamy and smooth, about 4 minutes.