Whatcha Makin' Now?: Glazed Oatmeal Cookies - #SweetSurprise

Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Glazed Oatmeal Cookies - #SweetSurprise

Chewy and Delicious Glazed Oatmeal Cookies

I decided to nominate my own Sweet Surprise recipient this month! Remember my Zest and Zing Recap last week? The tickets were actually won by Angela of Tulips & Rain. She couldn't attend and passed the tickets to me.

And for that I thought she deserved something special. I'm kinda ruining the surprise by posting this this know seeing as how I just mailed the cookies this morning. However, there might be a few other little surprises in the package.



You all know how much I love cookies - they are my favorite of all the desserts. I had to look back at my Recipe Index - I could have sworn I've made these, but nope it's a new one.

The oatmeal cookies are soft and chewy and the glaze just adds the perfect amount of sweetness. I sure hope they taste just as delicious when Angela receives them.

This also might be my new favorite glaze - I've never thought to add cinnamon to a glaze!

Chewy and Delicious Glazed Oatmeal Cookies

Chewy and Delicious Glazed Oatmeal Cookies

Chewy and Delicious Glazed Oatmeal Cookies
Glazed Oatmeal Cookies

Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
2 cups quick oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder

Glaze
2 cups powered sugar (more/less for desired consistency)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup

*Dough will need to chill for 30 minutes before baking.*

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, quick oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar, brown sugar, and cooled melted butter (1-2 minutes). Add the eggs and almond extract. Beat to combine.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until combined, scraping bowl to ensure all is incorporated.

Cover bowl and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats. Using a cookie scoop, drop dough onto prepared cookies sheets (12 per pan). Bake 1 pan at a time for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cookies cool on pan for a couple minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Let cookies cool completely before preparing the glaze.

For the glaze: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Gradually add the milk, whipping cream, and maple syrup. Whisk until smooth. If too thin, add additional powdered sugar; if too thick, add additional milk.  Use a basting brush to cover each cookie with glaze. You will have a little glaze leftover. Let glaze set (hour or so) before storing in an airtight container.

Makes a little over 3 dozen cookies.

Source: Une Gamine Dans la Cuisine

Printer Friendly Recipe