Whatcha Makin' Now?: {Classic} Gingersnaps

Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

{Classic} Gingersnaps

Classic Gingersnaps - Recipes uses shortening making them extra chewy!

This was the first time I've participated in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap to benefit Cookies for Kids' Cancer.

It's such a fun process: I baked 3 dozen cookies and sent them to 3 different food bloggers and in return I received 3 dozen cookies from 3 different food bloggers. The goal of the cookie swap to not only have fun networking with fellow bloggers, but it raises money and awareness for Cookies for Kid's Cancer.

I decided to bake a classic: Gingersnaps. They just scream the holidays and I knew they would travel well. As soon as they were cool, I sealed in a freezer bag, placed in fun snowman boxes and packed in a USPS shipping box. Off they went!

Oh! I also included the recipe on one of my personalized recipe cards from Two Poodle Press. Love those things.


Classic Gingersnaps - Recipes uses shortening making them extra chewy!


I got to bake for...
  1. Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
  2. Mary Kay of Homemade Cravings
  3. Victoria of Wilde in the Kitchen
And, I received cookies from...

#FBCookieSwap Cookies


It was so fun waiting for the cookies to arrive! I sometimes wish I would order something online once a week just to have that feeling of seeing a package on my front steps when I come home. And with the cookie swap I didn't know when, who, or what would show up! This is pretty much the only surprise I'm okay with.

There's going to big a big round up of all the cookie swap cookies; I'll update this post to include it as soon as it's live. Untill then, go make you some gingersnaps. ;)

Classic Gingersnaps - Recipes uses shortening making them extra chewy!


Classic Gingersnaps

1 cup sugar, and additional for rolling
3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon ginger
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar and shortening, about 3 minutes. Add egg and molasses and mix to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Gradually add flour mix to the wet ingredients until combined.

Roll dough into balls (use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to keep size the same) and then roll dough into sugar. Set on baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies. Store in an airtight container.

Source: co-worker, Laura

Printer Friendly Recipe

Classic Gingersnaps - Recipes uses shortening making them extra chewy!