Whatcha Makin' Now?: {A Classic} Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

{A Classic} Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

The trick to the BEST Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: Roll the dough in sugar before baking!

I can't believe I haven't posted oatmeal raisin cookies yet. What's wrong with me?! It's probably because cookies with raisins get a bad wrap; they are always the last to be eaten and are never as good as their friends the chocolate chip cookie, or monster cookie, or peanut butter cookie, or sugar cookie...you get the idea.


These. These might just change your mind. I found the recipe in my grandma's recipes and it's from her friend Winnie. I only slightly remember Winnie, but gram has a number of her recipes so I can only assume she was a pretty darn good cook. The push I needed to try - you roll the dough in sugar before baking to add a little more sweetness. Genius.

The trick to the BEST Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: Roll the dough in sugar before baking!

The trick to the BEST Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: Roll the dough in sugar before baking!


Show the raisins some love and give this classic cookie a try! I think my co-workers would agree; they disappeared almost immediately. And apparently raisins make it a breakfast food so it's socially acceptable to start your day with one.

Programming note - I'm going to see P!nk tonight!!!! I'm so excited. Follow me on Instagram to get in on the action!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup sugar, and more for rolling
1 cup brown sugar, packed (light or dark)
1 cup butter flavored shortening
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with a Silpat Mat or parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the sugars and shortening, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture. Followed by the oatmeal and raisins.

Place about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar in a small bowl. Use a cookie scoop to scoop even portions of dough. Gently roll into a ball and then roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes, until they just start to turn light brown.

Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Source: My gram's recipe box, from Winnie S.

Printer Friendly Recipe

The trick to the BEST Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: Roll the dough in sugar before baking!