Whatcha Makin' Now?: Cheesy Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwiches

Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cheesy Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwiches

Make an extra tasty grilled cheese sandwiches with 3 cheese waffles! Then, dip in tomato soup. Perfect fall meal!

So I found a new waffle maker. Guess where I found it! You'll never guess. It was at Aldi. Yep, Aldi. It's a Belgian waffle maker, with a temperature control, and was only for $14.99. Since I hadn't found one that I loved anywhere else I snagged it. And by golly it works great!

I finally had a way to experiment with the recipes in my waffle cookbook. Because I tend to zero in on the sweet recipes, I challenged myself to go savory with the 3 cheese waffles. That just wasn't enough cheese so I added more cheese and made them a grilled cheese sandwiches. Another good decision.


I'm not a tomato soup fan, but using tomato soup as a dip...that's a wagon I'll hope on any day.

Make an extra tasty grilled cheese sandwiches with 3 cheese waffles! Then, dip in tomato soup. Perfect fall meal!


Cheesy Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwiches

2 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese*
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese*
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese*
Additional sliced cheese or grated cheese to make the grilled cheese.

Preheat your waffle maker according to manufactures directions.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the EGG YOLK, buttermilk, and melted butter. Set aside.

In another, larger bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

Use an electric mixer, with a whisk attachment, whip the EGG WHITES on high until firm peaks form, 5-6 minutes. Set aside.

Add the buttermilk/butter/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in egg whites, gently, then add the 3 different cheeses.

Cook waffles to your liking - I like my more toasty and brown!

After waffles are made, make your sandwich by placing more cheese between two waffles, and cook in a pan until cheese is melted and waffles are a little bit crispier.

Serve with warm tomato soup!

*Feel free to switch up the cheese to fit your own tastes!

Source: Waffles: Sweet & Savory Recipes for Every Meal

Printer Friendly Recipe

Make an extra tasty grilled cheese sandwiches with 3 cheese waffles! Then, dip in tomato soup. Perfect fall meal!