Whatcha Makin' Now?: {make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole

Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

{make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole



Growing up we didn't eat a lot of casseroles mainly because my dad wasn't a big fan. But now that I'm all grown up I can make them whenever I want! :) Casseroles are almost always easy to toss together and pop in the oven for a stress free dinner. Plus, you can't beat the leftovers.

{make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole - Make the night before and then pop in the oven after work! So easy! #QuickFixCasseroles


I found this recipe in my grandma's old recipe box. I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm so blessed to have all my grams recipes. You just can't beat making a recipe that comes from a handwritten recipe card that is stained from years and years of use.

{make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole - Make the night before and then pop in the oven after work! So easy! #QuickFixCasseroles

So many of my friends and family are getting back in the routine with school and all the after-school activities. One of the great things about this casserole is you could make it for those friends or family members! Do all the prep work and drop it by their house with a little note saying:

"Don't stress tonight. Top with the cornflakes and pop 
in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes! Wishing you the best this school year!"

As someone with no kids, sometimes a large casserole is just too much for us to eat. Instead of having the cheesy goodness go to waste, you could prepare in 2, 9 x 9 pans; freeze one and bake the other. You know what's better than an easy casserole? One that you pull out of the freezer and bake whenever you want.

{make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole - Make the night before and then pop in the oven after work! So easy! #QuickFixCasseroles


Since I'm working towards the Neon Fresh Diet Bet, I tried to cut down a few of the fat and calories. I opted for lite sour cream, lower sodium soup, and Country Crock Spread. I didn't realize that Country Crock has 70% less fat per serving than standard butter.

Now pardon me while I go eat my Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole. Here's the recipe...




{make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole - Make the night before and then pop in the oven after work! So easy! #QuickFixCasseroles

Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole 

1 package (32 oz) frozen hash browns, thawed (Just leave the bag on the counter for 30-45 minutes and you'll be good to go!)
1 cup Country Crock Original Spread, and a little extra before baking
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chopped onions (I use frozen chopped onions for convenience.) 
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2-3 cups ham chunks 
16 oz sour cream
Salt and Pepper to taste 
2 cups crushed cornflakes 

Spread the thawed hash browns in a 13 x 9 pan. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the Country Crock Spread. Once melted stir in the cream of chicken soup. Pour mixture over the hash browns. Sprinkle with ham chunks, chopped onions and shredded cheese. Stir to combine all. 

Fold in the sour cream and spread out evenly in the 13 x 9 pan. Drop a few more teaspoons of Country Crock Spread on the top of the casserole and then cover baking dish and refrigerate for 24 hours or more.

{make-ahead} Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole - Make the night before and then pop in the oven after work! So easy! #QuickFixCasseroles


The next day, remove from the refrigerator and sprinkle with the crushed cornflakes. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown. 

Casseroles Tips: 
  • Serve with fresh fruit and veggies. 
  • Use lower sodium soup, lite sour cream, and Country Crock to cut down on fat and calories.
  • Smaller family? Make casserole in 2, 9 x 9 pans. Prepare bowl and freeze one pan for another time.
  • If freezing for later, allow casserole to thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours prior to topping with cornflakes and baking.
  • Don't forget the cornflakes on top! You'll miss that crunch. 
  • If making for friends or family and you're worried about loaning out your favorite pan, use a disposable metal pan. 
Source: my grandma's recipe box


I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.