Whatcha Makin' Now?: Fruit Salad with a Secret Ingredient

Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Fruit Salad with a Secret Ingredient

Pill Filling Fruit Salad - Use pie filling as your fruit salad base and then toss in your favorite fruits! Stays fresh longer!

I always thought the next best use for pie filling, other than pies, was on top of a funnel cake until a family cook-out. mmmmmm....funnel cake....opps, where was I?  Oh, the cook-out. My husband's Aunt Carol made fruit salad and it was extra delicious. She shared with me the tip to use pie filling as the base - genius. This keeps the fruit from getting all brown and gross because of the sugary syrup.

Pill Filling Fruit Salad - Use pie filling as your fruit salad base and then toss in your favorite fruits! Stays fresh longer!


I think peach pill filling might be my favorite so that is what I'm sharing with you today! Just like any fruit salad, you can toss in any of your favorite fruits. I opted for strawberries, kiwi, grapes, blueberries, apples, and bananas. Bananas are my favorite part of any fruit salad!  I think it's the texture with all the yummy fruit juices. Delish.

Pill Filling Fruit Salad - Use pie filling as your fruit salad base and then toss in your favorite fruits! Stays fresh longer!


This is a great recipe year-around and so easy to customize to your own tastes. I hope you'll give it a try.

Pie Filling Fruit Salad

1 can pie filling, any kind - I used Lucky Leaf Peach Pie Filling
1 to 2 lbs strawberries, cut in chunks
1 or 2 gala apple, cut in chunks
3 kiwis, cut in chunks
1 to 2 cup grapes 
1 cup blueberries 
2 bananas, sliced 

In a large, refrigerator save bowl, pour in pie filling. If the pie filling has large chunks of fruit, use kitchen sheers or scissors to cut fruit into smaller chunks. Add in prepared fruit, except bananas, and toss to coat in the pie filling. 

Place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes or so. Before serving, add in sliced bananas and toss to coat. 


Pill Filling Fruit Salad - Use pie filling as your fruit salad base and then toss in your favorite fruits! Stays fresh longer!


Don't miss a single recipe! Sign up for my weekly recap here.