Whatcha Makin' Now?: Coconut Macaroons with Butterscotch Chips

Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Coconut Macaroons with Butterscotch Chips


Jake and I started watching The Walking Dead.  And thanks to Netflix we are all caught up. If you haven't watched it before it's basically about how people survive after an infection makes people turn into Zombies after death.  I have to say the first season was a little slow and not the best acting, but now that's it's season 3 it's getting really interesting and the acting is much better.  

Onto the recipe.  I recently found a group of bloggers in the Kansas City area that meet up monthly to socialize and talk blogs.  I'm so happy I stumbled onto this group; I love chatting with people that are as excited about blogging as I am.  We arranged to have a Cookie Exchange over the weekend.  Lisa of Back to Allen arranged the event.  We all drew a name, kept it secret, and baked a dozen treats for that person.  We met at a Chez Elle for breakfast and the exchange.  It was a blast and such a great way to spend a Saturday morning.   


I baked for Dawn of Joyful Scribblings.  Dawn is an amazing writer and also sweet as pie.  You should check out her blog this week; she's doing a week of giveaways that are sure to help with your holiday shopping.  


I couldn't just make one thing so I made Coconut Macaroons and something else (pop back tomorrow for that recipe).  I sometimes have a problem with going overboard so I added Butterscotch Chips to bring in more flavor, but you could leave those out if you choose!  Next time I make these I think I'll make them a little smaller but the final product was a chewy coconut mound of goodness. 

See you tomorrow with another recipe AND the cookies that I got to take home.  :) 


Coconut Macaroons with Butterscotch Chips

4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup, minus 1 TBSP flour OR ½ cup Cake Flour
3 cups dried sweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
½ cup butterscotch chips (optional)

In a heatproof bowl (I used my Pampered Chef large batter bowl) placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and salt. When this mixture is warm to the touch, and nice and creamy, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, flour, and coconut.  Add in butterscotch chips, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours, or until firm.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Place heaping tablespoon mounds  of the batter on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool completed.

Store in an airtight container. Makes over 2 dozen macaroons.


Source: Joy of Baking