Whatcha Makin' Now?: Peanut Butter Dog Treats for Henry

Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Peanut Butter Dog Treats for Henry


Most of you know that I'm a pretty big fan of our doggie, Henry.  I mean, look at him, he's kinda cute.


Henry is a French Brittney and, as the breeder says, an angel in the house and a demon in the field.  We’re getting closer to the ‘angel’ status but he’s still a puppy.  Jacob does a lot of training with Henry to make him a good bird dog for pheasant season.  And I just love on him and try not to undo the training that Jacob does.
 

As he’s gotten a little older he is much more expressive.  I swear when we are playing he is grinning from ear to ear.  But when we say the word ‘errands’ he puts on the sad face.  This means that mom and dad have to run errands and he has to go to his kennel for a nap. (He has a LARGE kennel and does love it but he just doesn’t want to leave our side; another characteristic of French Brittney’s.)  Here is the ‘errands’ talk in action…  


The opposite side of the coin – here is Henry showing us his love for sprinklers….


I’m really not sure why I haven’t made him homemade dog treats until now.  But I’m glad I did!  I have at least 10 other recipes that I can’t wait to try so I hope you don’t mind me mixing in doggie treats with human treats.  J

Biggest win – Jacob came home and popped one of these in his mouth thinking it was just a cookie.  I was crying from laughing so hard.  But then again, it is just flour, peanut butter, baking powder and milk so all things we would eat.  Still it was funny and classic Jake. 


Henry was a pretty big fan of these treats.  I didn’t over bake so they were a little soft.  So after he came to terms with that he was a fan.  The peanut butter smell is delightful and so much better than store bought treats! 

Here is Henry’s reaction….


He's a fan.  

Peanut Butter Dog Treats
From Bullwrinkle.com

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup peanut butter (chuncky or smooth, natural)
1 cup low-fat milk
Variety of cookie cutters

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and milk.  Slowly add in flour mixture and mix well.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead.  Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes.

Bake for 12-20 minutes, depending on cookie size, until light brown.  Cool on a wire rack, then store in an airtight container.

Printer Friendly Recipe