Whatcha Makin' Now?: Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies



One of my friends posted on Facebook that her desk drawer smelled like banana bread due to the over ripe bananas she was storing.  I recommended she make banana bread.  10 minutes later the bananas were on my desk and she said I should make banana bread. 

Oh gee, twist my arm; I guess I’ll have to bake.  But banana bread just didn’t sound like fun so I searched for something different.  This cookie recipe caught my eye – I’ve tried other banana cookie recipes but they all turned out more cake like.  But with the oats I knew this would turn out to be more cookie like and substantial.    

I was very pleased with the finished product!  The cookie was chewy and had great flavor.  It was golden color from the brown sugar.  The chocolate chips are a must.  They didn’t rise too much but that could have been my fault.  I’d definitely make these again. 

Give these a try next time you forget to eat your ‘naners! 



Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, soft
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ mashed banana (2 medium)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups oats (I used quick cooking)
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. 

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside. 

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars until smooth – about 1-2 minutes.  Add in eggs and bananas, and vanilla extract and mix until combined. 

Slowly add in the flour mixture.  Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.

Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.  You can keep dough in refrigerator between batches. 

Bake for 11-14 until set and lightly browned.

Remove from oven and let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.  I like to just slide the parchment paper to the cooling rack, and then allow them to cool before removing from parchment paper. 

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.