Sunday, September 18, 2011

Taco Salad, with Doritos!

Oh hey, are you new here? I hope you'll connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, email, or another option over there on the right. 

UPDATE: I've updated the pictures in this post, but it's the same amazing recipe. 

Taco Salad, with Doritos! --- One of the most popular pins on Pinterest!


This recipe is another perk to marrying Jake. Since we met his mom has made this quite often for a quick, but delicious, family dinner.
Because this meal is best served cold it is a great make-ahead dish.  I think that is why Gail would make it when we all got together – she wasn't slaving away in the kitchen and could have fun with everyone.

Jacob and I make this taco salad at least monthly. Curiosity led me to add sour cream as a topping and I will never look back. It's amazing. 


Taco Salad, with Doritos! --- One of the most popular pins on Pinterest!


Taco Salad, with Doritos! -- BEST salad ever. Great for potlucks and picnics.


Taco Salad with Doritos
1 lbs ground beef
½ onion, chopped (okay to skip onion if you are not a fan)
1 can Bush’s Chili Beans in Medium Sauce
1 bag shredded cheese
3 tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 bag Doritos, crushed into pieces*
Catalina Salad Dressing (use as much or as little as you like) 

1 head lettuce
Sour Cream**
Cook ground beef and onion, drain grease.  Remove from heat and add Chili Beans (with sauce).  Mix well.  Transfer to storage container and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Best served as a cold topping to the salad.
2 Options for Serving:

  1. If serving to a group, combine all listed ingredients in one big bowl and serve.
  2. If serving to a smaller group or for your family, allow everyone to make their own salad by putting each ingredient out buffet style. 
Jacob and I do buffet style; this allows us to eat for multiple meals and make much better leftovers.

*Tip: Smash up the Doritos in the bag before opening. You know you're going to use the whole bag so this keeps your fingers from getting messy and make it super easy to serve. 
**Update (7-9-13): I added a dollop of sour cream to my salad last time and it was amazing! Probably going to make that addition going forward.

Source: My mother-in-law, Gail 

Printer Friendly Recipe

10 comments:

  1. I grew up on almost this same recipe! Doritos and Catalina make the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skip the beans and add Western Dressing instead of Catalina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be a dumb question but what sauce are you referring to when you say beans and medium sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not silly at all! :) Here's a link so you can see what the can looks like: http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/products/details.jsp?upc=3940001690

      They have mild, medium, and hot. I like the medium.

      Hope you love the salad!

      Delete
  4. How do you incorporate the catalina dressing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add the catalina to the other ingredients like you would a normal salad. You can use as much or as little as you like. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I heat the Hamburg before adding it to the salad and I use Thousands Island dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the hamburger hot sometimes too. I'll have to try Thousand Island - that is one of my fav dressings!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad I found this, thank you!!! My mom made a taco salad almost identical to this one when I was a kid, and I couldn't find her recipe. Everything seems the same except she always used Fritos instead of Doritos (Texas girl!). I made it for dinner and it tasted so familiar, sure brought back a lot of memories. Funny how food does that! My kids say it is their new favorite - even my skinny 12yo who eats like a bird and NEVER gets seconds got seconds! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing! This made my day! I will have to try Fritos - that sounds delish!

      Delete

I'd love your feedback! Make sure to leave your email so I can respond to ya and/or your blog link so I check out your site! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis