Whatcha Makin' Now?: Trader Joe's and Guacamole

Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Trader Joe's and Guacamole

So you might have heard on my Facebook page that a Trader Joe's just opened less than a block from my office. My foodie friend and co-worker, Sierra, and I ventured over during our lunch break. It was CRAZYYY busy but we kept our focus and pushed that cart right though the packed isles. Every checkout line was ½ to ¾ the way down every isle. But, really, people were in good spirits and patient so it was kinda fun!

Here are my goodies….

Of course some chocolate….you’ll see these in something baked soon.


We had this Mandarin Chicken and Brown Rice for dinner last night. And will be eating leftovers today. Yum.


Also picked up some General Tsao sauce – my favorite Chinese food so I’m hoping it’s good. I’ve always wanted to cook with coconut milk so grabbed a can of that.


But the main thing I wanted was this salsa and these chips! Amazing. I could, and we almost have, eat the whole thing in one sitting. Good thing I got 2 of each.


You know what would also go really well with these chips? Guacamole! Sierra shared her recipe with me and I desperately want a bowl right now.

Enjoy!

Guacamole
Sierra from Put Some Spice in Your Kitchen


There are a few treats that always seem to remind me of summer strawberries, lemonade, and definitely guacamole. I whipped some up to have with tacos and didn’t regret it. So good!

What You Need:
2 medium-large avocados
1 quarter of red or white onion chopped finely
1 clove garlic minced
8 sprigs of cilantro
1/2 medium tomato or two roma tomatoes, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers de-seeded chopped finely
salt/pepper to taste
1/4 tsp lemon juice

Peel husks and remove pit of avocados. Here is a quick video demonstration of how to prepare an avocado.

Chop onion, garlic, tomato. Split jalapenos down the center and remove seeds. Chop jalapenos and cilantro finely. Squash avocados into a chunky paste. Add chopped ingredients. Fold over the mixture on its self a few times. Add salt, pepper and tomato. If ready to eat in next two hrs add lemon. If not, wait 30 min before serving and blend.

What else should l look for at Trader Joe's? I think I will quickly become a regular….

Thanks for stopping by!