Whatcha Makin' Now?: Cream Bouquet: Wedding Cakes Secret Ingredient

Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Cream Bouquet: Wedding Cakes Secret Ingredient

It’s wedding season and we all know the best part about weddings is the cake. How would you like to make your own wedding cake, anytime?!?! Here is how I discovered the secret to wedding cake.

I work for a real estate company doing admin work and agent training. This role allows me to travel to real estate offices in different parts of Kansas and Missouri. I have so much fun visiting the towns and getting to know the people. Every day is something different!

A couple weeks ago, at our corporate office, we were celebrating the opening of a new office in Topeka, Kansas with cake (yum). I was talking to the new broker about how the cake tasted like wedding cake and wondered why wedding cake tastes so different. She shared with me that it’s an actual flavoring called Cream Bouquet! She learned about it in a cake baking class. My next question was where and when can I get some! Sadly her magical baking supply store was an hour away in Topeka.

But wait! I was on the schedule to visit Topeka with my boss the following week! Score! During our visit, the conversation turned to cake and this magical baking supply store. I know my boss enjoys spending time in the kitchen just like me so we planned to swing by before heading home. Double score!

Seriously, I wish someone would have been filming me as I saw this shop. I was like a kid walking down stairs on Christmas morning…I might have squealed a little bit. It’s called Sweet! Baking and Candy Making Supply. They have almost a whole wall dedicated to cupcake liners and another to sprinkles. Not to mention they have all the newest and must have baking/decorating items. You should check out their site; freebies, recipes, online ordering, and good inspiration.



I tried to stay focused and not spend my whole paycheck (even though prices were very reasonable; $2.00 for cupcake liners and $1.35 for sprinkles). Here is my loot…cupcake liners, sprinkles, and a LARGE bottle of Cream Bouquet flavoring.


I knew I would be making wedding cake cupcakes that evening for sure.


After work, I made a sensible dinner and then started in on the cupcakes. I used a box white cake mix and added ½ tsp of Cream Bouquet to the batter. For the frosting, I used the recipe from Sweets! website.

The final product was delicious and tasted like wedding cake!


It took me back to my wedding day; perfect day and perfect cake.


This is one of my favorite pictures from our wedding…Jacob’s expression as he gives me a very large piece of cake.

Sum up…

Cake:
Boxed White Cake prepared as directed
½ tsp Cream Bouquet added to batter before baking

Buttercream Frosting:
From Sweet! Baking and Candy Making Supply
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup plain shortening (I used butter flavored because that is what I had on-hand, but plain would keep the white color much better.)
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon Creme Bouquet
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup water or milk
pinch of salt

Mix with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Can add coloring if needed. It does store well in the refrigerator. Also tasted good by the spoonful….


Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your wedding cake!