Whatcha Makin' Now?: Sugar Cookies with Frosting (the only way to eat sugar cookies)

Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sugar Cookies with Frosting (the only way to eat sugar cookies)



Oh, hi!  Are you new here?  I'd love to connect on facebook too.  
Or, choose another option over on the right.  Thanks for reading!  


Man! I had a great weekend! My mom, sister, and almost 1 year old nephew came to visit. We did some shopping, eating, and movie watching. You can’t beat quality time with your mom and sis – love ‘em. We also got a lot of playtime in with my little nephew. His new thing is to drop something (usually on purpose) and say Uh-OH! He also makes the sweetest ambulance sound and giggles all the time. There is just something about a baby’s laughter – just warms the heart.

My nephew will turn 1 on July 2nd. My sister found the coolest cake to make for his big day. Here is what it looks like. We picked up all the supplies this weekend so she is ready to go. She is a million times craftier than me so I know it’s going to look awesome. I’ll share pictures after the party.

To help her out with snacks I’m going to make and decorate sugar cookies to go along with the cake. Last week I practiced my royal icing transfers and it went pretty good. Here is the outcome of trial run #1.


Today I tested a sugar cookie and frosting recipe. Plus I had these cool sprinkles I haaaaaad to use.  This is the winner!  The finished product was a soft, chewy cookie, with just the right sweetness in the frosting.  It is one of the best sugar cookie and frosting combo I've had!  The recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies and frosting was the perfect amount. They are drop and lightly flatten cookies so no rolling out necessary!

Luckily I will off load these cookies tomorrow at work so they won’t be in the house long.  And I better go to the gym because I've already had 2 too many.  Me, cookies, and frosting are a VERY dangerous combination......I’m sure I’m not the only one to put leftover frosting on graham crackers and if you haven’t you should try it! Yummmm.

Here are the recipes…


Sugar Cookies with Frosting
Adapted From: Recipe Girl

Cookies:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
½ cup sugar – used for flattening cookies before baking

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter; at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter flavored)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar (sift after measuring)
2-3 Tbsp. milk
food coloring, if desired

Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add in vanilla.

In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients and mix just until combined.

If too sticky, place cookie dough in the refrigerator to firm up a bit. (I put in the frig while I cleaned up the counter.) Then use cookie scooper or tablespoon to drop dough onto cookie sheet. Using a drinking glass, dip bottom in bowl with sugar, and lightly flatten cookie with cup. This puts a nice sugary topping on the cookie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 min, until light golden brown. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:
In a large bowl beat butter and shortening together until smooth and creamy. Mix in vanilla, almond extract, and salt. Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until combined, then add milk (1 tbsp at a time, you might not need all 3) & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Add food coloring, if desired. (I like Wilton’s icing gel.) Spread over cooled cookies and enjoy!


Thanks for stopping by! Happy Baking!! :)