Whatcha Makin' Now?: Lemon Smiles – Lemon Cupcakes

Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lemon Smiles – Lemon Cupcakes

You know how parents say they feel old when their kids graduate. Well, the opposite is true for kids when their parents retire. Thanks mom for making me feel old. Just kiddin’!


My mom is retiring from teaching after 40 years. Here is a great article done by the local paper on her career.

Over the years my mom collected MANY coffee mugs and for some reason mom didn’t want to take them all home. Weird – who wouldn’t want 75 coffee mugs in their kitchen!?!?! So, on her last day at school, one of the teachers created tags that said “I got mugged at Cheryl’s Retirement Party” and each person took one home. I jokingly told mom that every time I see her I will bring her a mug, just to start the collection over. I still might…

My mom also has a collection of 70’s style smiley face items. Thus the theme of yellow smiley faces.

My mom didn’t want a huge party so instead we tried to make her final week extra special…

Monday – Candy Bouquet was delivered.
Tuesday – My sister and nephew surprised her by visiting school.
Wednesday – Flowers delivered.
Thursday – “Old Lady Kit” including hair net, TV guide, pill box and other items old ladies use.
Friday – A new book with money to buy even more books!


Then, this past weekend, a smaller group of us got together for dinner (not a very good picture of the group, opps). We ate at the local Mexican restaurant and then to my parent’s house for dessert. That’s where I come in! I wanted to keep the smiley face theme going so I made and decorated lemon cupcakes.


I used a lemon box mix and then used my new FAVORITE frosting recipe and a tube of Wilton Cake Icing for the faces. My mother-in-law gave me the idea to make one with glasses for my mom. These were so much fun to make! The cake and frosting combo was perfect!


What You Need:
Box Cake Mix (Make as directed)
1 batch of frosting (See below)
1 tube Wilton Cake Icing in desired color



FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter; at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter flavored)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar (sift after measuring)
2-3 Tbsp. milk
food coloring, if desired

In a large bowl beat butter and shortening together until smooth and creamy. Mix in vanilla, almond extract, and salt. Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until combined, then add milk (1 tbsp at a time, you might not need all 3) & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Add food coloring, if desired. (I like Wilton’s icing gel.) Spread over cooled cupcakes.

Congrats again to my wonderful mother!


Thanks for stopping by!