Whatcha Makin' Now?: Glazed Donut Muffins

Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Glazed Donut Muffins


I love a good donut. Working in an office only makes this love stronger. We all know what I’m talking about……you get to work happy with your healthy breakfast choices and then you get the email….

    From: Skinny Employee
    Subject: Donuts by the coffee maker! Enjoy!

No message, subject line says it all. And there goes my healthy day because I don’t think I have ever passed up a donut especially a free one. :)

From the moment I saw this recipe from Sweet Peas Kitchen I began salivating. I mean a donut and a muffin, with glaze….yes please!


Side note: Is it donuts or doughnuts?? I wasn’t sure so I did a little digging. Turns out it can be either way. Here is a funny article. I personally like donut; it looks less fancy.

I was really pleased with these muffins, but they were rather large. Next time I would use normal cupcake liners instead of the dishes, you would also get more than 12 that way. However, they do look super cute in these. The cute dishes were part of the grab bags I ordered from Bake It Pretty awhile back. Check out their site. I might also poke a couple holes in each so the glaze goes into the cupcake. If you try that let me know the result!


Here is the recipe…

Glazed Donut Muffins
From: Sweet Peas Kitchen

Muffins:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With the mixer on low speed, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.

Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes before glazing.

To make the glaze, in a medium bowl mix together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.
When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to set. Once set, dip a second time and allow to harden then serve. Best served right away.


Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think below…