Whatcha Makin' Now?: Banana Bread

Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Banana Bread

Bananas. I can’t think of another fruit that when it gets old, it’s okay. I get on kicks where I eat a banana every day and then I just forget about them and that happened last week. So what is a girl to do?!?! Make banana bread!

When I was back home for my mom’s retirement party I borrowed a cookbook from my mother-in-law. It’s one of those cookbooks put together for a fundraiser and consists of everyone BEST recipes. It’s almost like going to the world’s best pot luck except you just have the recipes and can’t taste test anything.

As soon as I noticed the browning bananas I went to the cookbook. I found the winner on page 1 of the bread section. The only issue was it called for 3 medium bananas and I only had 2. I decided to add in 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce to hopefully keep the consistency. I also added in ½ teaspoon of vanilla because let’s face it, vanilla can’t hurt anything. I think next time I could even do a whole teaspoon.


I was very pleased with the finished product! Bread rose up great, good crust, and moist. And I did eat it for breakfast for a number of days! Funny…not in the mood for a healthy banana but banana bread…heck yes!


Banana Bread
Adapted from National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Jen Miner

1 ¾ cup flour
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine
2 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 bananas OR 2 bananas and 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Preheat oven to 350.

Shift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
In bowl, beat together sugar and margarine until light, scraping sides often. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla beating until smooth.

Add flour mixture, bananas, and applesauce to butter mixture, lightly mixing until smooth.

Pour into lightly greased loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes.

(Could do as muffins; 12 muffin tins, lightly greased, bake at 350 for 20 minutes.)

Oh and, after enjoying my breakfast of banana bread, this was the gorgeous sky view on my way to work!

Thanks for stopping by!