Whatcha Makin' Now?: Sloppy Joes - 1 House, 2 Recipes

Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sloppy Joes - 1 House, 2 Recipes

We have two sloppy joe recipes in our house. One is from my side of the family and the other from my husbands. Both are equally delicious and staples in our home but when we go to make them we do have to figure out whose ‘turn’ it is.

My recipe comes from my grandma and I’ve always called them Yum Yums. Not sure why but I’m guessing because they are yummy! Every summer I would spend a week with my grandma and we would make a batch while I stayed with her and another batch for me to take home. It wasn’t until I was in college that I started making Yum Yums on my own. I’ve held true to her recipe but do use ground turkey instead of beef every once in a while. Every time I make Yum Yums I think of my lovely grandma and how great of a person and cook she was.

Here is MY recipe:

Yum Yums

1 LB ground beef or ground turkey
½ packet of dry onion soup mix
1 can (10 ¾ ) Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo Soup
1 TBSP sweet pickle juice
1 TBSP sugar
pinch of salt
½ cup ketchup

Brown beef or turkey, drain grease. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Jacob’s recipe comes from his mother and, actually, I like this recipe a lot! And no, I’m not just saying that because she’s my mother-in-law! =) She has a ton of great recipes and this is just one of them. Jacob grew up with this recipe and refers to it as “My Mom’s Sloppy Joes”.


Here is HIS recipe:

My Mom’s Sloppy Joes

1 LB ground beef or turkey
1/3 cup chopped onion
1, 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup barbeque sauce
1 TBSP brown sugar
¼ tsp chili pepper

Brown beef or turkey with chopped onion, drain grease. Add all other ingredients and shimmer for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Bothh recipes are very simple but pack lots of flavor. I usually serve with fresh lettuce or fruit salad and chips.

Which recipe is your favorite?