Whatcha Makin' Now?: Hawaiian Cookies (with Coconut, Pineapple, and Cherries)

Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Hawaiian Cookies (with Coconut, Pineapple, and Cherries)

I found this recipe in my grandma’s recipe box. I don’t ever remember her making these, but they sounded interesting so I figured what the heck!



They were super quick to put together and the finished product was a sweet chewy cookie. I might try to make them a little smaller next time so the cherry doesn’t look so small, or just go without the cherry.

Hawaiian Cookies

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup shortening (part butter)
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond flavoring
¾ cup crushed pineapple (drained)
½ cup coconut
Maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sift together the flour and baking powder in one bowl. (I use a whisk, quicker than sifter.)

Cream shortening and sugar then add egg, vanilla, and almond flavoring. Slowly add in flour mixture and combine well. Stir in pineapple and coconut.

Drop spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Garnish with cherry. Bake for 20 min, or until lightly brown around the edges.



Humm….I’m thinking it’s time to make some cupcakes! I better start combing through my recipes for a good one!